The Deadline to Sign Up for Monthly Child Tax Credit Payments Is November 15
Most families are already signed up! If you’ve filed tax returns for 2019 or 2020, or if you signed up with the Non-Filer tool last year to receive a stimulus check from the Internal Revenue Service, you will get the monthly Child Tax Credit automatically. You do not need to sign up or take any action.
If you aren’t already signed up, you can still sign up to get the Child Tax Credit. You won’t lose your benefits if you do. These payments do not count as income for any family. So, signing up won’t affect your eligibility for other federal benefits like SNAP and WIC.
You are also eligible to apply for the Recovery Rebate Credit, also known as stimulus payments, as part of this process.
The Administration collaborated with a non-profit, Code for America, who has created a non-filer sign-up tool that is easy to use on a mobile phone and also available in Spanish.
If you have at least one qualifying child and earned less than $24,800 as a married couple, $18,650 as a Head of Household, or $12,400 as a single filer, you can use the Code for America sign-up tool to get the Child Tax Credit. You can also use the tool to receive missing stimulus payments, whether or not you have children.
Here’s a list of things you will need to complete the process.
- Social Security Social Security numbers for your children and Social Security Numbers (or ITIN) for you and your spouse
- A reliable mailing address
- E-mail address or phone number
- Your bank account information (if you want to receive your payment by direct deposit).
If you are eligible for the Child Tax Credit but don’t sign up for advance monthly payments by the November 15 deadline, you can still claim the full credit of up to $3,600 per child by filing your taxes next year.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Child Tax Credit for Non-Filers
- Where will you send my payment?
- What if I don’t have a permanent address?
- What if I don’t have a bank account?
- Will I lose out if I can’t sign up in time to get a payment on July 15?
- I haven’t filed taxes in a while. How can I receive this benefit?
- If I sign up for the Child Tax Credit, will it affect my other government benefits (like SSI, SNAP, TANF, or WIC)?
Give us a call at (206) 838-3800 or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Leave a Comment